Saturday, January 17, 2009

My cold weather skirt solution

I LOVE breezy skirts! So much so, that this time of year, I'm pretty much counting the days until spring when it's warm enough to wear a breezy skirt and sandals.

Meanwhile, here's my winter solution:

If I have a winter-colored (black or dark colored floral print) skirt that I want to wear, but it's too "breezy", I have a clingy A-line black knit skirt that goes under it as a winter slip. I promise, this keeps me warm. It's been about eight degrees here this week, and I've been fine. Even on shopping days when I have to go out.

If I'm going for an hour long walk in the very cold, I put on a pair of sweatpants under my skirt.

And I wear wool socks with my slip on shoes.

No tights, or leggings for me.

I'm toying with the idea of sewing myself a polar fleece slip. But the knit skirt I'm using as an under-skirt is working out just fine and dandy.

Somehow this traps the heat very well.

Now, here in KY I"m not tromping through any snow. I'd probably wear sweat pants or leggings underneath my skirts if I were.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I happen to own just such a skirt, which should do the trick. I don't like the feel of tights, but long johns might work, if I can find any. I think for me the tricky part is layering enough to be warm without looking homeless - I have a tendency to, shall we say, "shabby chic" anyway, and this could very easily get out of hand ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I tend to wear long johns or leggings. Usually my problem is that the white tends to peak out when I walk because I don't wear super long skirts. Been toying with the idea of black leggings or bloomers of some type. I love the new knit leggings that are in the stores now, but they just aren't in the budget. :)
    Hugs!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this layering of the skirts for warmth. I actually do this for a skirt I own, not for warmth, but because it has lace insets that show a little too much skin. I wear a skirt underneath, and people just think it's designed that way.

    -Amber

    ReplyDelete